Sunday, February 13, 2011

I'd rather be fat.

One of my friends just started this crazy "HCG diet." I say crazy for three reasons. First, I don't think taking such a potent hormone can really be safe -- assuming someone on the diet is taking actual HCG rather than a sham drug to the first place. Second, There are a whole bunch of strange restrictions -- like she can't have tomatoes, or strawberries, this, that, or the other thing. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. The third reason is it's severely, severely low-calorie: 500 calories a day. Holy. Jesus. For a few days, maybe. But whatever version of this she's latched on to, she's planning on eating 500 calories a day for 42 freaking days.

I can safely say I'd rather be a lardass than subject myself to that kind of idiotic regime. She's hungry all the time, tired and weak and cranky, spending a lot of money on the "hormone drops" .... it's ridiculous. It blows my mind that she finds low-carb too restrictive, but is still attempting this. She buys in to the idea that it will "permanently re-set" her metabolism and after that she can just go back to eating whatever she wants. Sigh.

2 comments:

Crys said...

That diet mystifies me. What purpose does the hormone serve? If you're eating 500 calories per day, you're absolutely going to lose weight...

I have a dear friend who did it and she lost weight and she's kept it off for several months, but she works out 6 days per week and eats a very sensible diet. That's how you keep weight off.

It's all so strange to me, but everyone's on their own journey.

MysticalMistress said...

I agree, HCG or not, no matter WHAT, she WILL lose weight at 500 cals a day. So why endanger yourself by ingesting a hormone that has very little know about it's effects at this time. That's just dumb!