Sunday, August 5, 2012

Grandmas and their recipes.

Went to see my dad tonight, and didn't think food would be an issue. Dinner with him is usually pretty simple: some sort of meat, some sort of vegetable, some sort of potato. When my aunt is there, it tends to be a little lighter, maybe just salad and meat. What I didn't count on was my grandmother being in charge of dinner ... and making homemade chicken noodle soup.

Dammit. Now, I know I could have refused to eat it and dug some cheese or something out of the fridge. But I didn't, for two reasons: one, I didn't want my grandma to cry, and she takes it personally when her grandkids don't eat her cooking. And two, I would have had to come up with an explanation why, and I am so not comfortable with my family knowing I'm dieting. The focus of every conversation becomes dieting, and dieting "tips", and success stories, and supportive-but-dickish comments about how they're so glad I decided to "do something about my body." My grandmother and aunt will go so far as to call me up to check on my progress. It's just a disconcerting amount of attention being focused on what I eat, and it makes me completely uncomfortable.

So, I ate the chicken noodle soup. With the big fat starchy noodles. I suspect I'll feel like shit when I wake up, between the carbs and the sodium, but tomorrow is another day.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I can understand why you did it. I use the I'm not really feeling well excuse and don't eat much.

FattyMcFatPants said...

Yeah, I thought about that -- but unfortunately when my dad said it was time for dinner I said, in front of my grandma, "Good! I'm SO HUNGRY! I haven't eaten today!" Shit. :)

Nanette N. said...

I get that family dynamic. I don't share a lot of dating excursions because mom will want to know all about it. But I'm QUITE sure she doesn't want to know the extent of my doings. heh.

I hope you enjoyed the hell out of the big fat starchy noodles. You don't get to eat them much, may as well have savored the experience.