Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Challenge ahead.

I'll be spending the next 24 hours at my dad's house, which is always full of chips, crackers, pastries, pies, bread, and ice cream. And he likes to make corn and potatoes with dinner. And he has Danishes and cereal and stuff for breakfast.

Breakfast won't be a problem; I'm rarely hungry when I first wake up anyway. But dinner, and late at night ... it's going to be hard to resist. Especially dinner, because if he notices me eating any differently than "normal," it'll be interrogation time. And I hate that shit. He knows nothing about nutrition, so no matter what I eat he gets on me about it. Any time I see him, he'll squint at me and demand to know why I haven't lost more weight - no matter if I have or not, it's never enough.

And I know it's just because he's worried. He's convinced I'll drop dead of heart disease any day now, that I must have diabetes without knowing it, that my knees are going to break in half from carrying my ass around. But more than that, he's afraid I'll never find a man to love me and take care of me when he's gone. It's sexist and slightly insulting but sweet, I suppose!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Your dad and my dad sound alike. Every time I see pop he asks if I've had a physical lately and how much weight I've lost... It's like "Really?" lol

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com
P.S. I'm new to your blog!

Natalie said...

I've been lurking on your blog (found you through Kenlie's site)! Take your own food to your dad's! Heck, who cares if he interrogates you? Maybe that will get him on board and if you tell him what you're trying to accomplish, he'll clean up his own act when you're around? I eat some super weird stuff (healthy) and people make fun of me all the time. I just use it as fuel for the fire -- I'm getting healthy while they're eating taco dip and making fun of me! You can do it!

Mary :: A Merry Life said...

I agree with Natalie... take your own food! If he gets on you no matter what you eat and its going to be a battle no matter what, take your own food so you can better ignore the crap he has laying around the house. You can do it!

FattyMcFatPants said...

Sarah, aren't dads the greatest? LOL.

Natalie, Mary, I do appreciate the suggestions! But he always has plenty of stuff I can eat. It's just that the other crap is there too! As far as who cares if he interrogates me ... I do, lol. My answers are never good enough, what I'm doing is never what he thinks I should be doing, etc. It's just uncomfortable, and I haven't yet learned how to deal with it, so I try to avoid it. Otherwise it tends to cause a self-defeating shame spiral. *sigh*