Saturday, January 29, 2011

Wardrobe; uncomfortable hope.

Yep, that's my wardrobe. Took up the entire width of my bed.
The other night I dumped out my entire wardrobe on to my bed and started sorting it. My entire wardrobe takes up a four-drawer dresser with two shelves on top, two closets and their two shelves, three 18 gallon plastic tubs, and 25 gallon plastic tub! I was just tired of reaching into my clothes and pulling out things that didn't fit.

So I sorted them in to four categories: fits now, almost fits, almost-almost fits, and 'yeah fucking right.' Oh, and goodwill. I might go through that last one again and pick out some things I might be able to sell on ebay. Some of it is horrible old clothes, but some is stuff like a pair of size 20 average jeans. I may be a size 20 again soon, but I will still have short legs. I seriously don't even know where I got those. And I'm never going to get around to taking them to a tailor to have them shortened!

As part of this, I tried on a lot of clothing that I'd either forgotten about completely (seriously, there was a denim skirt in there that I have absolutely no memory of buying!) or just hadn't tried in a while. And damn, was that blow to my self-esteem. I knew about 3/4 of my wardrobe was slightly tight; but it turns out it's more like 90% is either a little tight or just doesn't fit at all.

And it's not a bunch of  'skinny clothes' either, from high school or something. I got rid of most of those several years ago when I decided I wasn't going to put myself through the diet rollercoaster anymore. These are mostly clothes I bought when I worked at Lane Bryant. They're already fat clothes. And it did really bum me out that night, made me feel quite hopeless. And that's when I realized that I was actually starting to hope that I might really truly lose a lot of weight.

Fuck. I've been down this road before. Multiple, multiple times. There's really no reason for me to think that this will be the time that I actually get skinny and stay that way. The statistics are absolutely not in my favor, and I know that. I didn't start out trying to become skinny; I just wanted to wear my cute clothes again. I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure by even pondering taking it further than wearing my favorite lacy corset top again.

In a rather contradictory way, I'm looking forward to 2/10, which is when I'm going to properly weigh myself.  I know that daily weighs mess with my head; I know that weekly weighs are almost worse because what if that one particular day I've still got a gutful of food, period water retention, whatever. But a month seems like a good number.

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

the statistics are not in our favor.. you're right.. but keep chugging on and you WILL get to where you want to be... no matter what the number!

Don't use statistics as an excuse. YOU make the final decision... YOU create your own destiny! (Something I have to always remind myself too)